10/06/2012

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


This is one of the first books I remember reading completely in one long sitting (the very first was Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl), I was on a 10 hour coach journey from Melbourne to Sydney on my gap year and didn't sleep a wink, as I was so engrossed from the first page.

Not previously knowing much about the world of a Geisha, I was captivated by the old world traditions, the brutal way girls were trained up, the silks of the Kimono's, it was just an amazing glimpse into such a different place. In Sayuri, Arthur Golden created a character who although thrown into essentially a world of selling herself for the pleasure of men, she remains strong and dignified and takes the reader on a personal, evocative journey. Read immediately!

P.S. My tip would be to avoid the film at all costs, it strips all the magic from the narrative and the wonderful writing means you can conjure up far more beautiful settings in your head than the ones presented to you in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment